Sunday, June 2, 2013

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver

It's a lazy Sunday, and a beautiful day. It's funny, beautiful days like this make me feel impulsive. I want to move to a new place, or travel all over the country. You'd think a day like this would make me content, it's usually the cloudy days that calm me down. Josh Ritter, I think, puts it well in his song Open Doors: "I find myself hoping for the rain; you don't see shadows on a cloudy day. I really don't interpret that in a sad way, it's just that bright days can throw into relief the things that aren't quite right. They offer the opportunity to get outside and remind yourself of what's really important - and all too often those things aren't the things we occupy ourselves with on a daily basis.


All that being said, it's easy to appreciate the wonder of the world. Just go outside and look up at the sky! I think that's why I could never live in the city - you can never really get perspective on the fact that society's mores aren't really all that important. 

As always, I keep certain quotes close to my heart, and I'm happy to share:

"It's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much; my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst. And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life." -Kevin Spacey's monologue at the end of American Beauty

"With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?" -Oscar Wilde

And lastly, because I really do have an existential bent, I share this. It is not to be interpreted in a sad way! It's TRUE, and I think it's really empowering. We take ourselves too seriously, when really, life is short. 

"Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count on no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth.”
-Sartre





No comments: