Thursday, February 28, 2008

I am the great destroyer

Today was a good day.
Min Jin Lee's reading was lovely, beautiful, touching.
Actual tears came to my eyes when she said she was never lonely as a kid because she found such solace in books.
And the other statement, which I think will take a while to adopt, but was fantastic and so true, is that when you write, you have to stop writing for a judge and write for a reader.

I'm realizing more and more that I need to do things for me. Things I care about because they are what I want. I've spent so long thinking I'm an egoist and a hedonist and I'm not afraid to hurt people....but that wasn't true! I was only always hurting myself and never doing what I WANT. That's done. I'm not turning the hurt in on myself anymore. If I don't want to hang out with someone I DON'T HAVE TO!! I don't have to be nice to someone and placate them if it makes me hate my life. It is so freeing to rid yourself of company that irritates you and NOT FEEL BAD ABOUT IT.

Also, ordered Thomas Crown Affair and The Darjeeling Limited with a teensy part of my giftcard.
I reconciled with someone today that I thought was permanently "gone". I'm pleased.

1 comment:

Morna Crites-Moore said...

I like the breakthrough in life philosophy that is embodied in this post. Discovering the importance of the self - "TO THINE OWN SELF BE TRUE"